Monday 2 September 2013

Saying Goodbye to My Best Friend

I purposefully waited until Lucy had left to write this post, because I didn't want our last few days on the same side of the earth together to be blighted with sad eyes and sniffles.

My best friend is moving to the other side of the world to live in Australia and she left this afternoon. I have to admit, I've shed a few tears but my happiness for her new adventure by far overrides the sadness I feel at the thought of missing her.

I've known Lucy since I was 12. We went to the same secondary school and shared the same friendship groups. We've been friends for 13 years and she's the one person that I know will be there for me whenever I need her. She lives lived just 5 minutes down the road and we make sure we see each other at least once a week.

This isn't the first time we've been separated though. I moved to Ireland for a year when I was 19, and we stayed in touch through random Facebook posts. The same happened when I got back and Lucy moved to New Zealand. When she came home we were finally reunited, only for me to move to London a few months later. We still kept in contact and saw each other though. She came to London to visit me, we went to the BRITS together and we would "do dinner" whenever I was back in Maidenhead.

Despite often not seeing each other for long periods where months would pass, whenever we met up it would be as though we had never been apart.

Lucy is not only my best friend, she's my inspiration. She's a fellow small business owner and we often come up with our best business ideas after a brain storming session and a slushie. She inspires me not only in the way that she runs her business, but also in the way that she lives her life.

She is strong, brave, fearless, and although sometimes people try to knock her down, she always gets right back up again and gets on with what she needs to do. She doesn't spend her life worrying about what other people think of her, she just gets on with living and creating her own happiness and that is something that I really admire about her.

 

Lucy has been my rock, especially over the last 12 months or so. She was one of the first people that I opened up to about my anxiety and depression, and not once have I ever felt judged by her.

I'm gong to miss this girl like hell, but mostly I so ecstatic that she is going on this amazing adventure.

Lucy, I love you, and I hope Australia knows what it's letting it's self in for.

Go get 'em girl xxx

 

 

*****

If, like me, you'd like to read all about Lucy's adventures down under then read her blog over at http://luceandscottupsidedown.blogspot.co.uk

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment