Friday 13 September 2013

My First Burlesque Experience

As I'm going to see a lovely burlesque show at Norden Farm tomorrow for my 25th birthday, I thought I would dig out this blog post from my now non-existent Clara Form blog about my first ever burlesque show.

First Published Monday 11 October 2010 here.

Beyond the Cabaret & Bea DeVile present One In Four

Last night I was lucky enough to attend Beyond the Cabaret & Bea DeVile present One In Four at the Bethnal Green Working Men's Club. It was an absolutely amazing night and the performances were outstanding.

The night wasn't all pinot and pasties though, there was a serious message behind the event. One in Four people suffer from mental health issues, and the night was put on by the delectable Bea DeVille and Beyond The Cabaret to raise awareness to this issue. Here's what they said about the event:

The impact of prejudice, ignorance and fear around mental health can be devastating for people, families, communities and society. Stigma may prevent people seeking help when they need it. It stops people with ability getting the jobs they are qualified to do. It can stop people building new friendships and mean they lose existing ones. It can mean that everyday activities that you might take for granted, like going to the pub, shops or gym are impossible.
One in four adults experience mental health problems in any one year. 1 in 50 experience more severe mental illness. Millions of people across England live in the shadow of one of the last great taboos - mental health problems. This is the social justice issue of the 21st century.

We are hoping to make a small change and encourage everyone to make their own pledge and realise it’s also their Time to Change.

It was hosted by the hilarious Des O'Connor and there were some amazing performances from the likes of

Goodtime Mama Jojo, Dusty Limits, Chrys Columbine, Annabel Carberry, Lil' Miss Chievous, Tallulah Tempest, Balthazar DeVille, Count Adriano Fettucini and my personal favourites from the night Piff the Magic Dragon and Ophelia Bitz.

I was great to be surrounded by so many confident and liberated women (and men too!) and if I could spend every day of my life in the company of those lovely people I would.

I tried to take some pictures, but what with propping myself up against the bar all night and my rubbishy camera on my phone they didn't come out very well.

And here's a final, less blurry one of me on the night bus home. Ever the classy broad :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment