Friday 25 May 2012

How To Keep Your Dogs Cool in Summer: Ice Lollies for Dogs - PUPSICKLES!


While everyone is out enjoying the glorious weather with BBQ s and beers, we have to spare a minute to think of the animals. Many animals can face health problems such as sunburn, sunstroke and dehydration because their owners have not taken the appropriate measures to keep them safe during the hottest parts of the summer days.

Photo Credit
ITV This Morning's Marc the Vet has some great tips on keeping your pets safe this summer which you can find here, and I thought I would share with you one little tip that I have come up with to keep my Chihuahuas cool when they is out in the garden: PUPsickles! Ice Lollies for dogs!

PUPsickles are so easy to make, tasty and most importantly they keep your pet cool and hydrated throughout the day. I always give Bambi and Bear one when we come back from a particularly hot walk, along with a nice fresh bowl of water.

To make a PUPsickle all you need is an ice-cube tray, some fresh, clean water and a "filling" of your choice.
For my dog I use chicken, but I have also tried ones with carrots in. You can use any vegetable that your pet likes, and tuna is great for making PUPsickles for cats. (Mice Lollies? LOL!)
  • Firstly, cook your meat or part boil your vegetables and leave them to go cold. You can use raw vegetables if you like.
  • Fill the ice-cube trays half way with water.
  • Add the cooled meat or vegetables of your choice.
  • fFill the tray the remainder of the way with fresh water.
  • Put in the freezer for a couple of hours.
PUPsickles not only keep your pet cool and hydrated but they also keep them entertained and stimulated as they have to work to get the food inside the ice cube. Remember to always make sure your pet has access to a bowl of water whenever you give them a treat.

 Another thing I always do in the Summer months is to make sure I always have an area of shade set up with some blankets in the garden if I'm working outside. I also have a children's inflatable paddling pool which I fill with clean cold water so that the dogs can cool off whenever they need to, if it gets really really hot. A quick dunk can really cool them down for quite a long time.

Bambi enjoying a swim.

I'll try post a picture soon of my dog with their PUPsickles, and if you try them at home make sure to send me your pet pictures to poodlesandpompadours@gmail.com and I will put them up on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment